Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Flower Power!

About 17 years ago, when I worked for Easter Seals, I treated a girl named Jennifer who had Rett Syndrome.  I loved working with Jen. She had the best smile and awesome thick hair.  Her family was wonderful, too.  When I left to open up Touchstone, I lost touch with Jen and her family, but I think of her often.

Today, while getting a coffee, I found a stack of bookmarks sitting at the counter near the cashier.  The cute flowers, bright colors and the word believe caught my attention. "Believe in the power to cure Rett Syndrome" it said.  I flipped it over to see RettGardenofHope.org; growing hope for girls with Rett Syndrome. Once again, I was reminded of Jen and the hope her family had for her.




So, what is the Garden of Hope? I know that you've seen the puzzle pieces for Autism awareness and the shamrocks for MDA.  Well, this is the same thing, but with flowers for Girl Power! (Rett Syndrome is a genetic, neurological disorder that affects mostly girls.) You can start your own Garden of Hope at your church or school to help find a cure for Rett Syndrome!  Go to gp2c.org to find out how you can help raise awareness and support research for Rett Syndrome.  They have already discovered that re-introducing a protein that the brain needs may help reverse the symptoms!  So, put on your gardening gloves and sew some seeds!

Tell me about your Garden of Hope or how your girl power has helped a child!

Michelle Yoder, OTR/L

No comments:

Post a Comment