Friday, January 28, 2011

Engage with your child! It's great for both of you!

As a new mom, I have found that the most important thing in my life is now my child.  But, I also have so many other responsibilities, and often feel as if I just don’t have enough time to spend with him.  I know this is just the beginning, and this is a common feeling for the working parent and the stay at home parent.  So, whenever I am able to spend time with him, I want to make the very most of it…and I certainly don’t want to forget these times (they do grow too fast!).
While I spend time with him, I am quickly reminded that you should always get down on the child’s level when talking to him/her.  So, I do.  We lay on the floor and we play together.  We do tummy time together, we play with toys together, and we read together.  As he grows, I grow…and we continue to take steps together in this wonderful journey of life.  I challenge each of you to spend five minutes each day getting down on the level of your child.  We call on them all day to step up, and follow us; but, we need to stop and take a lesson from them.  They have so much to teach us…laughter, humility, peace, compassion, love, and the list goes on…

Amy Bumgarner, MS, OTR/L

No comments:

Post a Comment