I don’t know about you, but I’ve seem some tired little faces both coming off the bus at my house, as well as during the afterschool hours in the clinic. Tired leads to grumpy, and the heat certainly doesn’t help!!! This means that we, as parents, have to have greater tolerance for the meltdowns. Remember to take care of yourselves so that you can be your best when they march through your front door! Try the following stress busters while your kids are at school and especially on this holiday weekend:
• Take a walk in nature
• Practice a few yoga poses (check out www.planetyoga.com for some poses and you may see Chrys Kub, one of our PTs on there!)
• Get extra rest
• Get prepared for next week; make a list of what you need to accomplish- it always feels good to check those items off!
• Allow time for one of your hobbies: painting, gardening, crafts
• Call a friend
• Get some grown up time with your friends or spouses
• Take a bath with aromatherapy (scents like vanilla, lavender, honeysuckle are calming)
• Go dancing
• Get out in the sunshine
• Think positively: give a compliment, do a small favor for another grown up
Happy Labor Day!
Michelle Yoder, OTR/L